Local Businesses

Monday, April 13, 2009

Is it worth it to take this job?

Hey guys. I've just been offered a part-time job at Schlotzky's Deli. It's pretty exciting, because I haven't been offered a job ALL year because I 'don't have enough work experience'. How am I supposed to get any work experience if nobody is hiring me for that reason?





Anyways, they've offered me a job, BUT, I'm going on a 3 week vacation in June! That means I'll only be working there for about a month and a half, and odds are they aren't going to want me to continue working there after I return from my vacation after almost being gone a whole month. I really want the job because I want to have some experience on my future resumes and I would like the extra cash, but the only problem is ...





Would it be beneficial to have on my resume a job that I worked for a month and a half? Or would that count against me? I've never had a real 'job' before. Thanks ;)



Okay....this happened to me. I started a job then found out I had to leave the country and they fired me. They don't want someone that will just leave when they start.





I think it's best to be honest from the beginning. Tell them that you will be going away from X dates-give exact dates when you leave and come back-and can you still continue work there when you get back...?




Just do it for 6 weeks who says you have to put it on your resume? If you last that long it will do you good and give you some bucks, sounds like you are trying to weasel out of it to me!


Chickening out and playing Space Invaders for 6 weeks instead will count against you in life experience whether you tell anyone or not!




i would take the job, then once you get hired, find someone to cover your shifts about 3 weeks before you go. as long as you find someone to cover your shifts, you'll still have a job when you get back.




you should be honest and let them know you plan to take off, but def want to work when you get back

No comments:

Post a Comment

Business & Finance

Local Businesses