Local Businesses

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Can i claim mother as dependent?

Hi,


Is it possible for me to claim some amount for my mother as her Income is ($8000)lower than basic amount?


Since she has some room for income.





Thanks in Advance;-)



Assuming you live in Canada, to claim someone over the age of 18 as a dependant, they have to be either physically or mentally infirm.




Unless that $8000 is social security, no. If her income other than ss is over $3500 you can't claim her. Otherwise, if you can show that you provide over half of her support for the year, you can.




If she is physically or mentally infirm, yes.





If she is just living with you because of convenience, or choice, or economics, then no.




If she lives with you yes. I claimed my step-mother when she lived with me and had SS income

No comments:

Post a Comment

Business & Finance

Local Businesses