Local Businesses

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Can I have my name put on my partners morgage?

I pay half the morgage now anyway, but I have no rights to the house. How do I go about putting my name on his morgage? Can this be done?



There are two things that you may wish to consider. Neither of these involve simply putting a name on the mortgage, which is not really possible by itself.





The first, and best, option is to ensure that all the title deeds, as well as the mortgage, are in joint names and registered as such. That way, you are fully protected to the maximum that the law allows. You are, at the same time, fully liable for any problems that arise.





The second option is for you to become a mortgagee yourself, and hold a second charge over the property to the extent of your contributions. This does not give as much protection and is much messier to set up, but is legally possible.





Any option would require your partner's consent. And legal advice, for both of you, is an absolute must.





If you decide to go ahead, do not attempt to try to do it yourselves. This is a potentially messy one, and involving a solicitor is an absolute must.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Business & Finance

Local Businesses