Local Businesses

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Help me please !!! well i let my brother add my kids to his taxes ?

well first off i didn%26#039;t make enough to file for taxes because im a stay at home mom! well my brother help me out here and there he live with me and my boyfriend he doesn%26#039;t pay rent just the 30$ car insurance a month he doesn%26#039;t buy food or pays any utilities ! well my boyfriend does! so my brother made to much at least 48,000$ so if he filed he would owe so he asked if he could use my kids that he would give me the money which he said it was 800$ a kid which was two kids so i believed him but someone told me that ist 900$ a kid so please help can i get a copy of his tax return since my kid are on there is there anything else i can do !








p.s.i know i f***ed up Dumb Me



If I were doing this tax return, I would ask, is the boyfriend the father of any of the kids? How long did the boyfriend live you you?





Or, did your brother provide more than 50% of your children%26#039;s total support?





I would need that information to even come close to working this out.





There are two ways of claiming dependents, qualifying child, or qualifying relative.





If your kids qualify for qualifying child to your boyfriend, your brother can%26#039;t (legally) claim them.





No matter what, you are going to hurt either your boyfriend or your brother.





If your brother did not provide over 50% of your children%26#039;s support, (implied from the question), also he cannot claim them.





Well, it might be worth it to get a Pub 17 (free at IRS.GOV) and work out WHO can legally claim the kids (you, your bf, or your brother). There is not really enough information here. Then, having worked that out, have the person claim them, and the other person (your brother) do an amended return, removing them.




I don%26#039;t see how your brother claimed kids that are not even his ?




You have a problem.





If YOUR income was less than $3500 and your boyfriend supported you, then he can claim you on his taxes. With no income, you can%26#039;t claim the children.





If your brother lived with you for more than 6 months, then *he* is eligible to claim your children as qualifying children. Thus prohibiting your boyfriend from doing the same a relative takes precedence over someone who *isn%26#039;t* related to the children by blood or marriage. If your boyfriend *is* eligible, he can keep the refund as it%26#039;s his.





Only if your brother lived with you for 6 months or less is your boyfriend eligible to claim the kids.





As for how much your brother got for claiming your children, it might have been as much as $3000, but again, it%26#039;s his refund, not yours.


%0D%0A

No comments:

Post a Comment

Business & Finance

Local Businesses